The American Ingenuity (Ai) dome is ideal for down sizing your home for retirement. Ai has ten sizes of dome kits to down size your home to: from 172 sq.ft. to 3,000 sq.ft.. Ai kits range in size from one bedroom/one bath; two bedroom/two bath; three bedroom/two bath, four or five bedroom home with 2 -3 baths. To view plans for Tiny Homes, view Tiny Domes. To view floor plans for all sizes of domes, click on Stock Plans.
34′ American Ingenuity Dome featured on Forbes Life web site
In addition to the Ai dome able to provide the reduced square footage you want, there are five other reasons why an Ai prefabricated home dome kit once assembled and finished makes the perfect retirement home.
1. Low Utility Bills for heating and cooling result because of the following reasons:
- The exterior of an Aidome has 30% less exterior surface area for your heating and cooling to escape through than a conventional shaped box house. So almost automatically you receive a 30% savings on your heating and cooling costs.
- American Ingenuity’s tightly sealed exterior has no wood to interrupt the insulation resulting in uninterrupted EPS insulation producing one of the most energy efficient homes available today. Expect heating and cooling bills to be half that of conventional houses or log homes in your area. If traveling to warmer climates in the winter, the thermostat can be set at 40 degrees with no concern about water pipes freezing.
- The standard 7” EPS R28 noncombustible insulation is comparable to 11” of fiberglass batting. This means a conventional house would need at least 2×10 walls and still not meet the insulation value of the 7” EPS. To view the energy bills for a 1,200 sq.ft. dome home, click on Low Cooling Costs. To view the energy bills for 3,700 sq.ft. office domes, click on $55 a month.
2. Fire Resistant Concrete Exterior: If living in a wooded area and away from home months at a time, the dome is designed to be as safe and fireproof as possible because the dome exterior is entirely noncombustible concrete. There is no exterior PVC air form. The dome exterior is concrete.
3. Dome Exterior Walls are Super-Strong to resist high winds, tree impact & heavy snow load. A geodesic network of structural arches is created by the thick concreted seams that join the steel and fiber reinforced concrete panels
- The Aidome concrete roof is resistant to damage from falling trees or falling branches laden with ice. There was no damage to the Brack’s 48′ American Ingenuity dome after winds in excess of 75 mph hit North Carolina in July of 1996. The real test came when a 115′ high, 30″ in diameter hickory tree was blown over and fell on their dome. The impact broke a 10″ diameter branch off the tree. The tree slid off the dome and landed on a deck post driving it and it’s 16″ square concrete footer 6″ further into the ground. The insurance agent who inspected the damage to the deck conveyed his amazement about the dome’s strength with this comment, “If that had been a frame house the tree would have ended up in the basement!”
- The Aidome concrete roof is resistant to damage from heavy snow loads. During a winter heavy snow fall, the Napolitan’s dome stood strong with the homeowners saying: “Roofs had COLLAPSED in our area under several feet of snow, but NOT OUR DOME!”
- The Aidome concrete roof has no shingles or roofing to blow off in high winds. Ai’s dome owner’s warranty even covers F4 tornadoes and up to 225 mph winds. To view Ai’s web site file that summarizes hurricanes and other acts of nature, Recap.
4. Low Exterior Maintenance: The Ai dome has less exterior maintenance than a conventional framed house. The dome’s exterior is a shell of continuous concrete with incredible durability with nothing to rot, rust, warp, be eaten by termites or be damaged by fungus, molds and insects. The exterior concrete is primed and painted with no shingles or separate roofing to blow off in high winds. Normal maintenance is to pressure wash and paint every 4-6 years. The dome’s expanded polystyrene insulation will not shrink, deteriorate, absorb moisture or relinquish its R-value.
5. Floor Plan Flexibility: The American Ingenuity dome exterior walls are self-supporting eliminating the need for interior load bearing walls to support the roof. As a result the Ai domes offer more design possibilities than conventional shaped houses. To view Ai’s stock plans, click Geodesic Dome Home Plans and scroll down the page to view the hyperlinks. If you do not see a stock plan to fit your needs, our computer aided design team can customize your floor plan to suit your lifestyle.
American Ingenuity, 8777 Holiday Springs Road, Rockledge, Florida 32955-5805
Tel: 321-639-8777 9-5 Monday – Friday Eastern Time. Email GlendaB.Aidomes@gmail.com