Plans & Building Permit FAQ on the American Ingenuity concrete dome home.
40′ dome dining room with kitchen. Any of American Ingenuity’s stock floor plan layouts can be revised to show your personal room arrangement desires.
Q: What is your Residential Dome Building Plan regular pricing?
A: All stock and custom residential dome plans are discounted 25% off the following regular plans pricing. To view a chart listing the 25% discounted pricing for each stock plan and the kit sale pricing specific to each plan, click on Stock Plans & Kit Sale Pricing. Ai designs plans as a service so that each client receives the exact floor plan arrangement to fit their lifestyle. Plans for one dome are designed to be plotted on 18″x24″ “C” size paper. Plans for two dome complex or dome on a basement with a deck are plotted on 24″x 36″ “D” size paper. Ai emails your finished building plans pdfs to you so that additional sets of blueprints can be plotted locally.
Regular Pricing for Residential Dome Building Plans
|Dome Diameter||15' or 18' ||22′ or 27′||30′||34′||36'||40'||45'||48'
|Custom Link Plans||Based on link design. Call for pricing.
|Garage Plans From||N/A||$971 ||$1,016||$1,062||$1,077||$1,204||$1,276||$1,333
|Modified Plans From||$1,165||$1,365||$1,410||$1,501||$1,544||$1,578||$1,652||$1,771
|Custom Plans From||$1,310||$1,510||$1,585||$1,801||$1,919||$2,033||$2,252||$2,371
|Basement Plans From||N/A||N/A||$1,016||$1,062||$1,077||$1,204||$1,276||$1,343
American Ingenuity’s Building Plans are new & improved and contain 17-23 blueprints depending on type of entryways, foundation, etc. Building Plan sets contain all the blueprints typically provided with any type of housing and include floor plans, concrete slab foundation with radius & angles, foundation details, two exterior elevation blueprints (dome shell section view, top view showing panel placement), floor joist framing plans, structural details, locations of plumbing and electrical fixtures, interior wall dimensions and second floor wood joist & edge beam dimensions. See below for listing of possible sheets within the set of Building Plans.
Electrical Diagram, Plumbing Diagram and HVAC Diagram are not included—Ai has found the electrical, plumbing and HVAC subcontractors prefer to design their own diagrams. Please call our offices for commercial dome plans pricing – 321-639-8777.
Ai’s philosophy is that each Buyer pays for only what they need. Ai does not burden the price of the building kit with plan’s pricing, engineer seal cost or energy report cost. Building plans are purchased three months to -1 1/2 years prior to kit shipment. About 50% of the building departments require engineer sealed plans and an energy report to issue a permit. As a result, each customer pays for their plans separately from the building kit and pays for a seal and energy report only if their building department requires them.
Due to the complexity of the Florida Energy Gauge Report, Ai no longer completes the report, but provides the dome info the company needs to complete the report for $100. All other states, except for California and Washington, can require a Rescheck enegy report. Ai can complete the REScheck Energy Report. Call for pricing.
If your building department requires the following, please hire your local HVAC subcontractor to complete your Manual S (Equipment Sizing Certification); Manual D (Duct Design & Layout Drawing); or Manual J (Residential Heat Load Calculation) for the Florida Energy Report and the REScheck Energy Report.
If your building department requires engineer sealed building plans the engineering firm who will seal your plans requires two items:
- A Geotechnical Soil Report in order for the foundation to be designed with the specific type footer required for your soil type and pressure.
- ICC (International Code Compliant) structural calculations be performed on your exact size dome, exact number of openings at your site’s precise design criteria (wind speed & exposure class (seismic zone & snow load if required). These calculations show if any additional rebar, etc. are needed in your shell. If needed the engineer and Ai make the changes to your plans. This report is run using the Risa Program to show that the Adidome and its building system meets the International Code Council requirements and any codes beyond ICC requirements enforced by Florida, California and Illinois. Ai has been told these ICC calcs sealed by an engineer licensed for your state mean that the Aidome can be built through out Florida (including Miami Dade, Broward, Indian River County, etc.) and California if land is zoned correctly, etc. Please call for ICC Structural Calcs pricing.
Q: What is the standard foundation included with the stock plans?
A: Concrete slab. For Ai to design a basement or concrete columns or stem wall or pilings, or elevated platform, etc.; the engineer requires a Geotechnical Soil Report and an engineer fee is added to the Plans Quote to cover the cost for an independent engineer to be hired to calculate the load of the dome and the load of the two floors within the dome and give joist/edge beam size/spacing and foundation design to our CAD department to incorporate within your plans. Please call for engineer pricing.
All of American Ingenuity’s stock plans are now on our web site. To view the plans by dome diameter, click on Tiny Homes and Larger Dome Stock Plans
Due to spam filters your email requests may not make it to American Ingenuity and our email replies may not make it back to you. If you email Ai and do not receive a reply in one to two days, please call us. While you are on the phone, we will send you a test email to assure you receive it.
If you want stock floor plan layouts mailed, call Ai at 321-639-8777 for printing cost and mailing cost.
Building plans may be purchased with Master Card, Visa, Discover, check or money order. Shipping cost and plotting cost are not included in the Plans Pricing. Stock plans are shipped in 2 weeks. Allow at least 5 weeks for modified stock plans and 8 weeks for modified and custom plans.
If you do not have the time or do not want to assemble the dome shell kit, click on Kit Assembly Consultant to learn about this service. He will supervise your laborers or your contractor’s laborers to assemble the dome shell with the first layer of concrete in the seams and on the entryways and dormers. To view photo gallery showing dome kit assembly, click on Kit Assembly.
Q: How do I know what my Building Department will require to issue a building permit on the American Ingenuity concrete dome building kit? Will your Building Plans comply with my areas building codes?
A: Ai has sold dome kits into 47 USA states and fifteen foreign areas. Our blueprints have been accepted by building departments, which use many different Building Codes including the 2009 & 2012 & 2015 International Residential Building Code, 2014 Florida Building Code 6th Edition, California Building Code and Universal Building Code.
At no cost to you, if you give Ai your construction site address or parcel ID number & your building department name, we will call and speak to your plan’s examiner. Ai will email him or her a drop box invitation which includes a sample set of plans. Ai will call the official, explain the dome prefabricated panel, review specific pages on our web site & discuss the drop box info. Ai will ask if engineer sealed building plans, engineer sealed ICC Structural Calculations and an energy report are required to issue a permit.
If required in your area, your dome building plans can be sealed/certified by a PE engineer licensed for your state. The cost for an engineer seal for one dome built on a concrete slab is $600, $900 for two domes each built on a concrete slab. For the engineer to seal your plans, he requires a soil report and ICC structural calculations be performed on your exact size dome, exact number of openings and your site’s design criteria (wind speed, exposure class, seismic zone, snow load). Call for seal pricing for basement plans, elevated platforms, stem wall, crawl space, etc.
The cost for an Energy Report for states other than FL, WA & CA is $190 for one dome on a slab. Energy Reports for Florida, Washington and California are completed by your local FL, Wa or CA companies. Other paperwork such as a site map, exterior door & window spec sheets, etc. will probably be required prior to the issuance of the permit. Sometimes your building department will have a web site that lists the other paperwork that is required.
Q: Explain how to work with my building department.
A: Keep in mind that building departments are concerned with strength and safety. Domes excel in these areas. Building departments and building codes are not concerned with appearance although a plan examiner may be unfamiliar with the aspects of dome construction.
- Prior to purchasing property, call Ai and ask for our Buying Land document that lists items to check before land purchase. If you own your property or have narrowed your property searches down to one parcel, please provide Ai the property address or tax ID number and the name and telephone number of the building plans department and Ai will call the department and show them our web site. We will confirm that they will accept American Ingenuity’s prefabricated panel as is, and what additional information and requirements are needed for a permit (i.e. engineer seal with engineer sealed ICC structural calculations, energy report). Each state, county and city building departments have specific requirements and requests.
Q: What is the sale pricing on your building plans?
A: To view the discounted plans pricing, click on Discount. Our building plans are very reasonable in price. As far as the building plans, if you went to a Florida engineer or architectural firm and asked them to design you building plans for a 2,000 sq.ft. house; they could charge $1.50 to $2.00 per sq.ft. So that would be $3,000 to $4,000 for a 2,000 sq.ft. house. Currently the regular price for 40′ dome (2,000 sq.ft. house) is $1,333. Click on Sale to view current sale pricing on plans. Please scroll down the page to find the plans sale pricing.
Ai designs plans as a service to our clients so that each obtain the correct floor plan to fit your lifestyle.
Q: Prior to purchasing Building Plans, what do I need to consider?
A: Assure you have answers to the following questions and to all the questions on the buying land with zoning checklist you received from Ai:
- Does the deed for your land have any restrictions on domes or minimum new size house requirements?
- If there is a Home Owner’s Association governing your land, if so obtain a copy of the covenants and make sure a dome can be built.
- What is required from your building department to obtain a building permit? Wonderful news Ai is now utilizing an engineering firm who can seal the Aidome building plans for all 50 states (including Washington DC), US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and all Canadian Provinces other than Quebec. In order for the plans to be sealed by an engineer licensed for your state or area, the plans buyer pays for ICC (International Code Compliant) structural calculations to be performed on their exact size dome, exact number of openings at their site’s precise design criteria (wind speed & exposure class (seismic zone & snow load if required). These calculations show that the Aidome prefab panel and building system meets the International Code Council requirements and any codes beyond ICC requirements enforced by Florida, California and Illinois. Ai has been told these ICC calcs sealed by an engineer licensed for your state mean that the Aidome can be built through out Florida (including Miami Dade, Broward, Indian River County, etc.) and California if land is zoned correctly, etc. Please call for ICC Structural Calcs pricing.
- Do you have your financing secured?
- Are there minimum house square footage requirements or a garage requirement on your property?
Q: Can my zoning department stop me from building a dome?
A: Yes. Zoning can ask for roof conformity where all the roofs look the same in that area. Besides zoning ordinances controlling the use of the land, they determine setbacks from property lines, minimum size new home requirements and height limits and similar things. Deed restrictions and homeowner associations can limit the type structure that can be built.
Q: Where can I build a dome?
A: Almost any place. Although, there are a few exceptions, some developments or communities control the size, cost and appearance of the homes. Before you buy the land, ask if there are any Deed restrictions or Homeowner Associations or zoning which will not allow the dome to be built. Ask Ai to email their latest buying land document with zoning checklist which contains an important list of questions to be asked about the property. If there is a Homeowners Association, meet with the board and show them information about the dome. If they say you can build the dome, we recommend that you obtain a notarized statement from them stating this. Over time, members of the Board can change and the bylaws of the Association can change.
Besides assuring that your property has no deed restrictions or homeowners association regulating it, contact your building department and find out what they require to issue you a residential building permit. To obtain a new house building permit in California and Florida, engineer sealed building plans and engineer sealed ICC Structural Calculations are submitted along with other required paperwork.
Q: When should we purchase our dome building plans?
A: Plans are purchased 3 months to two years prior to dome construction.
Q: When can I move into my dome?
A: If a building permit is needed to build, generally the building departments will not let you move in until they issue a Certificate of Occupancy – meaning the home is finished per the blueprints. If there is no building permit is required, a person could stay in the dome once the shell is weather tight.