7th Step – Obtain Building Permit. Every Building Department in each state and city and county within a state can vary as to what they require to issue a building permit for a new residential home. As a result it is American Ingenuity’s philosophy that each Buyer pays for only what their building department requires. Ai does not burden the price of the building kit for building plans pricing, engineer seal fees or energy report fees. If we did, the Ai dome kit price would need to increase in price.
Some areas in Arkansas, Indiana, Vermont, Texas and other states do not have building departments, so the property owner only obtains a septic tank permit and well permit if needed. In the cases where no Building Plans are submitted to a building department, the building plans (13-17 blueprints) are utilized to build the foundation, dome kit and finish the interior of the dome home.
Some building departments can require not just building plans be submitted but they want the plans sealed by an engineer licensed for that state. States vary as to what code they adopt and enforce. The codes can be 2015 International Building Code, 2012 International Building Code, 2009 International Building Code, California Building Code and 2014 Florida Building Code 5th Edition, etc. The Ai dome building plans comply with all these codes, but the building officials do not know this. The seal confirms that the plans comply with that state’s code. Engineer seals are specific to each floor plan and to each state. The engineer’s seal can be purchased through American Ingenuity. The cost for a seal for any state for one dome on a slab is $600.
Prior to utilizing this PE Engineer to seal the dome plans, Ai hired engineering firms or architectural firms whose seal fees were $1,200, $1,500, $3,000 or more depending on the dome size. The fees were larger because the firms had to cover their overhead and labor costs, etc. The Professional Engineer that Ai utilizes to seal your plans does not have the high overhead and labor costs that firms do; therefore his fees are much less.
For custom foundations other than slab – basement, stem wall, pilings, concrete columns, etc. engineer seal fees vary. Please call Ai for pricing. 321-639-8777 Mon-Fri 9-5 ET.
Besides the sealed plans, the building department can require the following be submitted to issue a building permit:
- An Energy Report be completed on the envelope of the home including the exterior door and window U factors. Ai can complete the REScheck Energy Report for all other states but California, Washington and Florida. The price for Energy Report for one dome on a slab is $190. These three states have their own programs so companies specializing in their completion are hired. Ai has the name of CA firm that has completed California Title 24 Energy Report on an Ai dome in Riverside Ca. For Florida Ai will provide the company you hire the wall dimensions to be entered in the report.
- Engineer sealed structural calculations on the structure showing the dome complies with snow, wind and seismic conditions for that area. The Ai Dome exceeds any code requirements but the officials do not know that so they can ask for structural calculations that are sealed by an engineer licensed for your state. If needed these engineer sealed calcs can be purchased through Ai. (Please do not ever ask a building official if they want structural calculations, because they will say yes. We wait and see if they request them.)
- In Florida all new construction requires Florida Engineer Sealed Building Plans, passing Florida Energy Report and other docs. If building in Florida, at no cost to you if you give us your properties tax ID number or site address we call the building department and email them a sample set of dome building plans and find out what is required. A few Florida building departments may require Site Specific Local Product Approval on the prefab panel. If needed the docs and calculations for the site specific local product approval are completed by an engineering firm. Please call Ai for more pricing.
- Elevation Certificate – if your property is in a Flood Zone you will be required to hire a surveyor to determine the height of your finished floor to get it above the water surge or mean high water mark. This height is entered on your building plans and you give the Certificate to your building department.
- Site Map – this is completed by you or a local company. It shows outline/dimensions of your property, setbacks, driveway, location of the dome, well, septic drain field (or city sewer or city water lines), location of other out buildings, etc. Ask your building department what they want included on your site map.
- Electrical Diagram, Plumbing Diagram and HVAC Diagram. Ai does not include these diagrams in the 13-17 blueprints because Ai has found the electrical, plumbing and HVAC subcontractors prefer to design their own diagrams based on how they are going to layout your electrical, plumbing and HVAC (heating & air conditioning ducts or ductless units).
- If your building department requires the following, please hire your local HVAC subcontractor to complete: Manual S (Equipment Sizing Certification); Manual D (Duct Design & Layout Drawing); or Manual J for the Rescheck Energy Report (Residential Heat Load Calculation).
- If no city sewer or water, obtain permit to install well and septic tank and drain field based on number of bedrooms in the plan.
- Building Permit Fees are paid to the county or city. In Florida impact fees are also paid.